Thank you for your interest in joining the Western Reserve Junior Service League.
Service League promotes enrichment of educational, cultural, and charitable service organizations of Lake County and surrounding communities by providing dedicated volunteers, financial support, and proven leadership. We value commitment, honor tradition, foster personal growth, share accomplishments, cherish friendships, and proudly hold high standards in all we do.
Benefits of Membership
- Make a positive impact in your community.
- Meet new people and form lifelong friendships.
- Opportunities for personal growth and leadership development.
- Volunteer in the community through well-organized service projects.
- Attend monthly General Meetings with exciting and informative topics.
- Participate in exciting fundraisers and special events.
In order to be considered for membership you must meet the following criteria:
- You must be at least 21 years of age by July 1st of your provisional year.
- Prospective members must reside or work in Lake, Geauga or Ashtabula County.
A prospective member Open House will be held Wednesday, March 13, 2019 from 6:00 – 8:00 pm at the Mentor Public Library (Village Room), 8215 Mentor Avenue, Mentor, OH. At the Open House you can learn more about Service League, meet current members, and enjoy refreshments. Please feel free to bring a friend! If you have any questions regarding the Open House or would like to RSVP, please contact Ali Wilson, [email protected] or (216) 310-7681.
Prospective members are welcome to attend any of our general meetings. Meetings are held the third Thursday of the month at 6:30pm (with exception of the December meeting, which is traditionally a brunch held the first Saturday of December). There are no regular meetings in June, July or August.
For more information or to attend one of our meetings contact one of our Admissions Chairs, Lynelle Cassella, [email protected] or Ali Wilson, [email protected]
- Prospective members should complete the Admission Application. Alternatively, you may download and mail in the New Member Admission Packet. There is a $25 application fee. The application deadline is May 15th.
- Applicants will be notified of acceptance in the spring. To accept membership new members must submit provisional year dues by June 30th. Dues for provisionals are $60.
- Candidates who accept Provisional membership will be invited to the May Dinner as our guest. This event will take place May 23, 2019 at the Mentor Harbor Yacht Club beginning at 6:00 p.m.
- If you are unable to accept membership, you may defer for another year or refuse membership entirely.
- Once you are a Provisional member, you will receive information over the summer about the Provisional class schedule which begins in the fall. These classes are to teach you about our organization, events, and the community at large. During your classes, you will not need to attend the monthly meetings unless you so desire. Provisional classes are typically held Wednesday evenings and run for about 8 weeks from September through October.
- Upon graduation from the Provisional classes, you will become an Active member.
Four Levels of Membership
Provisional – This is your first year of membership and includes classes at a variety of locations. This is how we introduce new members to Service League and volunteer opportunities within the community.
Active – Upon successful completion of your provisional year you become an active member. Our Active members are expected to attend monthly meetings, serve on at least one Service League committee, participate in all Service League fundraisers and volunteer at an approved local charity. There is no minimum hour requirement as long as you meet the requirements of Service League and your outside placement.
Transitional – After five (5) years of Active service, a member may remain an Active or choose to reduce their time commitment and become a Transitional member. Attendance at the monthly meetings is encouraged and involvement in one fundraiser or one committee is required.
Sustainer – After five (5) years of Active service, you may decide to change your status to Sustainer. Sustainers pay dues and participate at will.
Dues are $60 for Provisional members, $75 for Active and Transitional members, and Sustainers pay $60. These are typically due in the spring. Other financial contributions are on a volunteer basis. Active members are also required to bring a refreshment or dish for one of the monthly meetings.